2006-09-14

Such Nonsense

I stumbled on this picture today entitled "Palestinian Loss of Land", which takes a "snapshot" of Israel from pre-1947, the UN Partition Plan of 1947, 1948-1967, and 2000. Since the host, EatLiver.com, doesn't take comments or feedback as far as I can see, I guess my only recourse is to write about it here (which is the only reason I'm even bothering with this BS).

Anyone who knows a shred of history in the region knows that the British controlled what is now Israel before 1948. And before the British, the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) controlled it. The map implies that it was mostly "Palestinian Land" before 1948. It was called Palestine, but it sure wasn't Palestinian.

The second picture is my favorite: a map of the 1947 UN Partition Plan. It's amusing, because the Palestinians rejected it while the Jews accepted. Israel's 1948 borders were based on that plan. Had the Arab community accepted the plan, the world would be a very different place.

The map captioned "Stage 3" (a BS caption loaded with BS implications) shows a map of Israel from 1948-1967. Again, the green areas are labeled "Palestinian". But Gaza was controlled by Egypt at the time, the West Bank was controlled by Jordan, and the Golan Heights were controlled by Syria. Again, territory never controlled Palestinians.

None of these maps take into account that most of the south is desert. If you factor that in, the "Jewish land" becomes a lot smaller, even in the 2000 map.

There's so much other BS in this picture, but I like to actually back up my arguments and put forward a convincing case. And I don't have time for that right now. But for now, I think I covered the most obvious sources of the stench.

UPDATE: I had to update the link to the image - EatLiver is clever enough to check to see if you're coming from the site when you try to look at the image. It's a good way to make sure you have to sift through their ads to see the picture. Touche' ;-)

--YY

No comments: